February 04, 2013

Social Justice Book Lists

Last week I presented a talk about the wealth of youngCanLit books that can help teach social justice.  Using the ten themes listed in the document Social Justice Begins With Me (2011) from the Elementary Teachers' Federation of Ontario (ETFO), I've compiled lists of picture books, fiction, young adult and non-fiction titles that can be used to help promote each social justice theme.

The ten monthly themes listed in the document are:
 
  1. Self-Esteem
  2. Sharing our Lives
  3. Peace
  4. Building Supportive Communities
  5. Rights of the Child
  6. Caring Hands
  7. Untie the Knots of Prejudice
  8. Local and Global Citizenship
  9. True Worth and Beauty
  10. Circles and Cycles
Over the next few weeks, I will present a list for each theme.  But, knowing the wealth of youngCanLit, I suspect that these lists will never be complete, just a starter set of titles to get the teacher, teacher-librarian, parent or reader started on examining the full range of social justice literature available in Canada.

And if I've missed one of your favourites, please let me know so that I may add it to the appropriate list.   I insist on being fair!

1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to reading these lists, Helen. Thanks!
    Susan Hughes

    ReplyDelete