June 13, 2014

Taking the Reins: Guest Review

by Dayle Campbell Gaetz
Coteau Books
978-1-550-505528
232 pp.
Ages 10-14
2013

Taking the Reins was a great, enjoyable book that had me sitting on the edge of my seat for the whole book. As an avid historical fiction reader, this book surpassed my expectations, and gave me more of a knowledge about the difficulties and hardships girls living in these times had to face. 

Another favourite of mine is horses, so the blend of historical fiction and horses was a perfect fit for me. Not many books have this unique feature, so it has become one of my favourite books I have ever read!

I loved this book because I could clearly connect to Emma’s reluctance to keep Nugget’s name the same because I am very stubborn, but normally, like Emma, I can be persuaded. The only feedback I would give you is that if I had a horse that I loved, like Katherine and Nugget, I would not have sold him as quickly as Katherine did. I know that Katherine's family needed the money, but if I were in her shoes, I would have gotten a job so that I would be able to keep my horse and still help my family.

Thank you so much for writing this amazing book and I am crossing my fingers that there will be more awesome books like this one! 

Grace D., Age 12

No comments:

Post a Comment